Mill “de Ster” is an eight-sided theorem windmill and is built in 1859.
On the “beard” of the mill stands the year 1856 but that is the years when the construction of this mill is ordered.
Mill Builder was the company Taderera from Deventer.
The construction of the mill is only completed in 1859.
The construction mission comes of Berendina Hagens, widow of G. Halil.
Her son Jan Halil becomes the Miller on this mill and in 1861 the owner.
In 1908, Albert Scholten, a brother-in-law of Jan Halil, comes to work on the mill as Mulder’s servant.
The great-grandson of Jan Halil, A.B. Halil, is also working as a miller’s servant on the mill.
In 1914, at the outbreak of the war, Albert Scholten left for the Winterswijkse. But more than a year later it was picked up again. Jan Halil died of pneumonia. That is another very serious disease. In 1916, Albert Scholten buys the mill. In the period that Albert Scholten owns the mill, several things have happened that have given the mill a very different look. I have not been able to figure out everything, but according to a story from the newspaper of 27 September 1957, some things are coming to light.
When the mill is bought by Albert Scholten, there is still a wooden shaft in the mill.
Only the wicks have been replaced by steel rods.
The current mill is not the same mill, which was built in 1859 on this site.
Three times, “the star” was struck by lightning, in 1866, 1900 and 1902 and more times he was completely burnt down.
After these disasters in the years 1922-1933 a new danger threatens: the wooden axle is defective and that requires a large edition.
It is crisis time and at that time one can be much more profitable with a motor grind.
Fortunately, however, the required tokens can be provided in time and a new shaft will be in the mill.
This axle is only placed in the period 1936 to 1938 and is now made of cast iron.
The axle comes from an already existing mill because it is cast in 1895 at the Iron Foundry “the Prince of Orange” which is located in The Hague.
The number of the axle is 1464. Unfortunately I can’t figure out which mill the spindle comes from.
Then also the shaft is pierced. This is done because then another wick system was put on the mill en. The zelfzwichting system.
The iron rods that are already seated from 1916 are maintained.
After this refurbishment, the mill has turned the blades back to 1943. During grinding, one of the rods breaks. They are slowly grinding and suddenly one of the wicks comes down along the theorem, he is demolished.
The iron Roe, who had to replace the wood in 1916, and the danger is great, that “the Star” as many other mills in our country becomes a lifeless stump.
But in 1957, the happy news is that the Minister of Education, Arts and Sciences has made a subsidy available for the restoration of the mill. Albert Scholten can hardly believe it and says, “So, so, now, that’s really news what you tell me there”.
One has often come to look at the ineffective struck behemoth with in the background the characteristic saddle roof tower of the Reformed Church, the first thing the visitor of Spirit sees, when he approaches the village of the Lochemse side.
Several times, experts from the association “de Hollandsche Molen” have been at ‘ the star ‘, but it seemed to remain as if it were. “The Dutch windmill” had sent its umpteenth envoy and a few months ago the well-known mill maker Ten Have came out of the way, with a mission of the association to make a budget of possible recovery. “Main issues are,” said De Mulder, “the application of a new iron roe, so that the wicks are complete again and renewing the theorem.”
Also some trifles that are not allowed to have a name. From the inside the mill is still best. We are now turning mechanically, the mill runs day in and day from eight o’clock in the morning to half-six in the evening according to Albert Scholten. When the restoration will now get its herd? We have been informed at the municipality of Borculo, where we were informed, that the subsidy granted is a third part of the prerecovery estimated sum.
The municipality will probably have a third party (the Council has to decide on this) and the rest will probably have to come from the province and the owner itself. In Total, the restoration will cost nearly 10 mille. The contribution of the Empire is made available as soon as the mill is restored. It is not yet so far, but there is every reason to believe that the centenary of “the star” can be celebrated with a completely revamped mill, which as before will be an ornament for ghosting. Thus another newspaper article from 1955.In 1943 the mill for a fourth catastrophe was spared when during an aerial combat the mill was fired.
Mr. Jan Hendrik Karssenberg and his son Wim were 9 years old when they were working on land to harvest potatoes together with a hiding (Co van de Brink). At one point they heard a lot of aircraft noise from the direction of Lochem and there it appeared that an English bomber Aanzat behind a German device. At one point the mill was shot from the English apparatus and the windmill was fired. Miller Albert Scholten called then “the mill is on fire”. The three men did not know how quickly they had to bring themselves into safety and had the presence of spirit to get out of the fire with milk cans full of water and buckets. Thus, the mill was preserved for a catastrophe.
The German apparatus was later knocked down at Haaksbergen, where the pilot died. Since the establishment of the association “de Hollandsche Molen” in Amsterdam in 1923, this association has set up a contest that aims to obtain a better return from the mill as the relapse of the mills, due to the rise of the Steam engines, increased considerably. To this end, several new wick systems were invented. Also “Mill Star” has been equipped with various of these wick systems. As already mentioned, the current shaft was placed in the period 1936/38 and the zelfzwichting system was installed on a rod. In 1943 When a rod broke, the rod with zelfzwichting remained quite and until 1958 the mill had stood still with this one rod.
However, the decay quickly came in and finally in 1958 the mill was restored completely and the wick system of Mill Builder “Ten Have” was mounted from the mill. Also the wind boards on this rod were then replaced by a “van de-Lijn” streamline. In 1966, all the ongoing work (then consisting of 2 chairs) was demolished by the then owner from the mill and replaced by a silo.
In 1977, the owner sold the mill to the municipality of Borculo which was the mill in the years 1979/80 for an amount of over Fl. 400,000 guilder has restored again. All the previous work has been made again, albeit that there is now a grinding chair and the mill is restored back to its old state with “old Dutch” fencing. The mill was officially put into service by Albert Scholten, who was 97 years old, on 7 May 1980. Since Albert Scholten was badly in the leg, he could no longer kick the mill.
This is why he instructed his old servant Ab Altena to release the catch by means of a sign. This Altena has been a servant at Scholten at the mill for some years.
By the Guild of Voluntary Millers he was appointed to give instruction to a group of volunteers of five men and a woman including the writer of this article. The Apprentice were Millers of the first hour; Cor Gamban, Justa Hanson, Theo and Annie Gort and the undersigned all from Borculo and Jos van Hal from Geesten.
Apart from the undersigned, the others all came from education. Unfortunately, it did not work so well under this instructor since he had previously had little to do with the mill. So after half a year the instruction was stopped and one went looking for another instructor. It was found almost half a year later in the voluntarily Miller Dick ulcers from Doetinchem.
In the meantime Justa Hanson had already fallen off because of moving to elsewhere and also Annie Gort was stopped. Only Cor Gamba managed to obtain his diploma for Voluntary Miller after more than a year. Unfortunately, he was stopped soon after, because he saw much more salvation in building cellos. Within two years of the start, Jos van Hal and Theo Gort were also pulled out. Not that they didn’t like it, on the contrary, they were too busy with other pursuits and then you just have to make a choice. Only the undersigned remained so with Dick ulcers. There have been some others in between, but they usually kept it for a year.
On 13 October 1983, the writer of this article has graduated his coveted Millers diploma and to this day he is still regularly in action.